Thursday, March 5, 2009

26.2

Well, I've just about recovered from this:

Cowtown Marathon 02/28/09
Place: 480/924
Time: 4:27:04

I'm definitley glad to be done, but I'm also just a little sad that it's over with. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and I was so lucky to have so many friends and family members there to cheer me on. People keep asking if I'm going to do another one and I keep telling everyone that I'm not even ready to start thinking about it. It is mentally exhausting to train for one of these and my brain needs a break! Everyone realizes the physical challenge that it entails, but few understand that it literally takes over your life. Early bed times, very early mornings, entire Saturdays devoted to long runs and then the recovery, turning down plans with friends b/c you have to run the next day...it definitley takes a toll on you. It is definitely worth it though. I will never forget the moment I crossed the finish line. I burst into tears as Jake hugged me and when he said "I'm so proud of you" I said "I'm so proud of me too" and I really really was.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful story with a wonderful ending, yet as I said earlier, personally I can't even fathom how anyone runs a 26.2 mile race. It is said that we can understand fatigue from physical exertion, but you are so right, how many of us can begin to know the mental feat?

I am so proud of you, the dedication and the person that you have become. Standing on the sideline, and photographing the many hugs from family and friends, simply reminded me of what a gift this world has in you.

You are an inspiration!

Love,
Mom

megankl said...

oh mom, you're so sweet :)