Sunday, October 3, 2010

Surviving Sponsorship Run & Our Space Car

Yesterday we participated in a 10K that benefits cancer survivors in Lake County. The money helps patients in the area pay for their medical expenses. It didn't start until 9:00 so it was a bit warm for a 6 mile run, but it was still fun.

It was a one of the friendliest races I've ever been to. While we were waiting for the race to start a woman came up to me and introduced herself. She said she sees me running every day on her way to work and she always waves to me. Then after the race a bunch of the 10k participants said hi and chatted a little bit. There was a good turnout for the race, but only a small handful were 10k-ers so we had a special bond (they also had a 2k and a 5k).

Here is a picture from after the race. No, the sun isn't in Jake's eyes. He just likes to look goofy.


Speaking of goofy...

When we were getting ready to leave for the race Jake said "will you push the button (of the car remote) to open the trunk?" His running shoes happened to be in there, but I'd forgotten to mention that when I went to the store the other day and tried to put the groceries in there, I couldn't get it to open. "What do you mean it won't open?" "I mean that it. won't. open." So he tried a couple things and couldn't get it to work. He then had to go inside and get another pair of shoes. She same pair that he ran his first 10k in that ruined his foot. He wasn't to excited about running in them again. We got to the race, checked in, and then he went back to the car to try the trunk again. He returned with the shoes that were locked in there. "Did you get it open?" "No, not exactly. I had to remove the back seat." I thought he meant that he just had to fold the seats down, but no, our car doesn't have that feature. Instead, the actual seat pops off and then you have access to the trunk. I've never heard of this before. Why don't the seats just fold down? Apparently that feature is only available in the "cold weather" models (for skis and snowboards). Here's a picture of him putting it back in:


I guess the latch is broken or something, but the whole incident reminded me of the movie, Baby Momma, when she's trying to get out of the car, but it's locked and she's having trouble. I'm bad at describing this and don't remember exactly what happens, but at some point she refers to the car as a "space car" and that's what I felt like we had. A space car that we couldn't get into.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poor Jacob! I'm glad he got to those shoes, though. I remember the pain he was in on that one race. OUCH.