Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Rant

There's a website I frequently visit: http://www.weddingbee.com/ It's basically several brides to be that blog about their wedding. It also includes wedding recaps of those that have tied the knot. The site is wonderful and provides a lot of great ideas. The past couple of weeks they've been having posts called "Real Budgets" where the bride shows pictures of the wedding and gives a complete breakdown of the wedding expenses. Today featured one that cost a ridiculous amount of money. Granted, some of the ones they've featured have been very reasonable, but then they throw in ones that are ridiculous like this and it makes me sick to my stomach. If you want to be wasteful with your money then feel free to drop some on my doorstep and I'll use it to buy a house. I can't even fathom spending the amount that some people do. What's really amusing to me is that the weddings they feature that cost a fraction of the price are just as beautiful as the expensive ones. So what are these people thinking? Is their expensive wedding going to make for a happier marriage? No. Is it going to make it more memorable for the guests? No. Is it going to put them into debt for years and years? Probably. Even if I hit the jackpot on a slot machine and suddenly had millions of dollars to spend on our wedding, I can honestly say I would not change ONE thing. I realize a wedding is a very important event. It's something you'll remember for the rest of your life and will cherish every moment. However, I don't believe this is the most important day of ones life. The most important days are the days when you get your pilot's license or finish a marathon...the days when you come home after a horrible day and your spouse makes you feel better...the days when you have a huge fight, but are able to resolve the problem...the days when you give birth...the days when you move into your first home. Yes, the wedding signifies that you promise to support one another through all of these other important days, but I don't think this one day justifies spending a ridiculous amount of money. Okay, I'm done venting. :)

No comments: