Friday, March 12, 2010

Conversation of the Week:

It's not actually a conversation, but more of an incident. Yesterday I helped with the 2nd graders at the after school program, and I have to say, they were CRAZY. I've honestly never seen children act this ridiculous. I even questioned why I was even doing this in the first place, but the several hugs I received when I first arrived for the day make it worth it. I have to tell you about this one girl though.

First, she painted her face during craft time. Of course she had to be wearing a faux fur lined hooded coat on her head while painting her face. Obviously the paint got all over her coat. And the paint was red so it looked like an animal activist had gotten ahold of her. Ugh. Someone else cleaned her up. I think I was too shocked to do anything at that point.

Then, later in the afternoon, I'm sitting across from her and I notice she's chewing on something. Then I notice it's a crayon. Seriously. I made her go spit it out. Then she ate another one.

I clearly remember a lot of things from 2nd grade. I remember my friends, my teacher, learning sign language, and a bunch of other details, but I definitely don't remember anyone ever being ridiculous enough to paint their face or eat crayons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me she wasn't eating the red crayons. (Those are my favorite!) ;)

Seriously, your story made me laugh, and think. All I can recall from second grade is having to stay after school each afternoon for a one-on-one tutoring session in math. My teacher, Mrs. Van Horn, was a SAINT!

Mallory Layfield said...

One time in second grade I was making farting noises at lunch with these two boys and Mrs. Van Pelt made me go sit by myself in the cafeteria.

So yeah, I slightly identify with this freak girl in your class.