Friday, May 20, 2011

CSA Week 2

I finally got my rhubarb and strawberries!! I also received corn, english peas, garlic, beet leaves (seriously, where are the beets?) and a head of iceberg lettuce that I threw away because I'm not really a fan. I don't have anything against iceberg, but I'd prefer to just use of the rest of the spinach and romaine that I already have in the fridge. More nutrients.

But let's talk about the beet leaves....I'm so confused. I was at the store when Jake was picking up the box. I asked him if there were beets because they was listed on the website and I'd already planned a recipe around them. He said there were no beets so I picked some up. I got home and compared them. They are EXACTLY the same, but one is missing the actual beets. Where did they go? And what am I supposed to do with the leaves? I guess I'll google it later. I'm sure there's something that can be made from them.

Everything looks beautiful. Especially the strawberries. FYI, if you only buy one type of organic produce, it should be strawberries. Apparently they retain more pesticides than any other fruit or vegetable.

Confession: I still buy non organic on occasion if they're on sale.

1 comment:

M3 said...

Beet leaves can be cooked and steamed like spinach. They are LOADED with nutrients and are absolutely delicious! (I only learned about using them a few years back.) The beet leaves can be harvested over and over again, and eventually the root crop will be harvested as well; that's when you'll have your beets.

I'm not sure that beet leaves can be eaten raw, but it would be interesting to know if they could.

I agree, iceberg lettuce is a waste of water, soil amendment, etc. Next time, simply dig a hole, throw the item in and top it with dirt. You'll have the beginnings of your compost pile.
;)