Friday, May 13, 2011

CSA

On Monday I signed up for my first CSA box and I picked it up yesterday. I paid $24 for an annual membership and $16 for the box of fruit and veggies. 80% of the CSA items are organic so I think $16 is quite a bargain for everything I received.



My box for this week included a head of romaine lettuce, a head of cauliflower, 3 oranges, a bunch of asparagus, several sweet potatoes, 4 apples and 4 carrots. All of it was so fresh and beautiful. I've already eaten the asparagus and one of the oranges. Both were excellent!


After placing my order I realized you can also purchase items a la carte style. They have beans, flowers, baked good, olive oil, and several other awesome things. Needless to say, I'm super excited about placing my order for next week!


Here's the link for the Lake County co-op if you're interested.


The CSA website indicates what will be in the box each week, but also adds a disclaimer that contents may vary. Well, I should have taken the disclaimer a little more seriously because this week's box was supposed to include strawberries and rhubarb. I actually planned this week's blazingburner meal around those two ingredients, but was severely disappointed to find that I'd unexpectedly received apples and oranges in place of strawberries and rhubarb. So sad, but luckily the recipe can easily substitute the apples in place of the berries and rhubarb!


I hope that we can get our garden planted within the next week or two so that we'll have even more organic veggies on hand. We're definitely going to cut back on the number of hot pepper plants this year because we had way too many last season. Jake was excited to find a new pepper to plant this year. Apparently it's hotter than a ghost chili. I WILL NOT be eating one. Not after the Habanero Incident of 2010.


In addition to planting our garden, I'm also going to see if Jake will build a clothes line for me so I can dry the laundry outside. I'll be out of work all summer so I feel like I'll have plenty of time to devote to hanging clothes outside. And we might as well save money on the electric bill since I won't be working!


CSA member, gardener, and clothes line dryer...just look at how country I've become!

No comments: