Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Big 12 Break Up

I'm really torn about the Big 12 Break Up.

I don't know much about the politics of the change or even the general state of the Big 12 from the past few years. I've been out of the loop.

What I do know is that it feels like a family is breaking up. To be honest I'm mostly concerned with the Oklahoma and Texas schools. I realize they only make up 1/2 of the Big 12, but they're the closest to my heart.

There were always 3 definite things that would happen each season for OSU and I'm afraid to lose them.

1. Texas would always beat us.
2. We would always beat Baylor. No offense to Baylor fans, but come on...
3. And when we played OU, the stats from both teams were thrown on the window. It was always a wild card game and obviously the most important game of the year for OSU.

If all goes as planned with the Pac 10 then number 1 and number 3 will probably not change. But where is our free win going to come from?? Just kidding. That's actually not my biggest concern. I am concerned about Texas and Texas A&M though. How can A&M even think about leaving Texas? Their rivalry is the same as OSU/OU. I know the Texas/OU thing is a big deal and all, but these in state rivalries are just as important. I would be devastated if OU and OSU went in different directions.

I do take comfort in knowing that Texas, OU, and OSU will probably all go to the same place, but I'd rather stay as one big happy family in the Big 12.

Now, on the flip side of things....If OSU does join the Pac 10, then there's a much better chance I will actually be able to see some of their games on TV. This would be great and I'm sure in the end I will be happier with the fact I'll actually get to see them play, but for now I just need to mourn the loss of my Big 12 family.

One final note: If Mike Modano officially announces his retirement this year then I'm not sure what I'll do. I can't take two devastating sports announcements in one year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't even follow football and I'm mourning.

Oh, and if Mike retires, everything is out the window for me too.

Say it ain't so. Quick, someone awake me from this anxious dream.